- 17 January 2018
The mission of the Centre for the Prevention of Radicalization Leading to Violence (CPRLV) is to develop innovative expertise in the prevention of radicalization leading to violence as well as of hate crimes and incidents, throughout the province of Quebec. It is mandated with documenting the nature of such phenomena, developing a range of prevention strategies, setting out guidelines for prevention and intervention in these areas, and providing tools and support to family members, teachers, professionals and members of the community regarding these issues. The CPRLV draws on the expertise of its employees, as well as that of its community and institutional partners to:
- Implement concrete prevention strategies in order to take pre-emptive action to combat radicalization leading to violence and counteract hate speech and hate behaviours.
- Provide support and psychosocial counselling for individuals who are radicalized or becoming radicalized as well as to family and friends, teachers, field workers and concerned citizens on the one hand, and to victims of hate speech or hate behaviours on the other.
- Promote the social reintegration of radicalized individuals in order to help break their ties with radical groups, protect them, and help them thrive in a healthy social environment.
- Conduct studies and research to develop a better understanding of violent radicalization in order to maximize the usefulness and impact of field interventions.
- Promote the dissemination and application of knowledge acquired in the CPRLV’s areas of intervention.